Community

“Malaysia is a warm, hospitable country with lots of places to explore”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Name: Lone Friis Larsen
Home Country: Denmark
Industry/Job: Manager, Georg Jensen
Other countries you have lived: Denmark, Easter Island (Chile)

What brought you to Malaysia?
My parents, back in 1999 when my father was assigned a so-called two-year project. It took them 12 years to pack their bags and they now live in Indonesia. I’ve attempted to move back to Denmark more than once and even spent a year on Easter Island, but I keep finding myself back in Malaysia. It appears gravity is a little stronger over here.

What were your impressions of Malaysia before you came?
Back then there were a lot of misconceptions about Borneo and Sarawak, where I spent the first seven years. I remember my maths teacher in Denmark warning me about cannibals! I don’t know what I expected but I was pleasantly surprised. Malaysia is a warm, hospitable country with lots of places to explore.

How easy was it to integrate into Malaysia?
Thanks to being so multicultural, Malaysia is an easy place to fit in. I remember returning from a holiday six months after we moved to Kuching and being told “welcome home” by my local friends. I think that can be defined as a gravitational pull. I am still learning about the culture here, and some old habits die hard; it’s hard to remember not to point using fingers… or feet!

Are most of your friends locals or expats?
After being here so many years, my friends are largely local. Befriending expats became exhausting after a while, as I felt like I was always saying farewell to someone. It is, of course, nice to have some friends of the same culture as you, but I enjoy the local mentality and always have a great time with my local friends. I’m really quite blessed with amazing friends over here.

What do you miss about your home country?
I miss my brother and his family, and also a few Danish friends who have stood by me my entire life, but they have all been great at visiting. I am not sure whether it’s me or Malaysia’s gravitational pull that brings them over. I suppose I also miss the Danish summer, the reckless humour, and cheese.

Read More:

What are your thoughts on this article? Let us know by commenting below. No registration required.

"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "

Comments

Click to comment

Most Popular

To Top