It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Foreigner Marrying Malaysian Muslim?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:45 pm 

Foreigner Marrying Malaysian Muslim?

Does anyone know what the procedure is in Malaysia for a non-Muslim French woman (divorcee with kids) to marry a Malaysian Muslim (single) ?

Is it easier if I convert to Islam in France rather than do it in Malaysia ?

What are the papers needed for the marriage ?

Original Posting Date: 14-3-2005 at 07:22 PM
Author: legendre
Note: The post above has been copied from the ExpatKL.com forum. ExpatKL.com has been rebranded to ExpatGoMalaysia.com

Post subject: Re: Foreigner Marrying Malaysian Muslim?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:46 pm 

Foreigner Marrying Malaysian Muslim

I am a British citizen married to a Malaysian Muslim Lady.
My advise would be for you to get in touch with the local Islamic Authority such as JAWI if you live in Kuala Lumpur.
I did my convertion in Malaysia to avoid any complications. Once the convertion is sorted JAWI will guide you on your marriage procedure.
Please bear in mind that your future wife is required to produce original identification papers including divorce certificate.
Hope this helps.

Original Posting Date: 15-3-2005 at 09:41 PM
Author: derrick
Note: The post above has been copied from the ExpatKL.com forum. ExpatKL.com has been rebranded to ExpatGoMalaysia.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 pm 

E-Mail address

A'Kum
I received an e-mail from your wife to be,
regarding a few questions on converting unfortunately, I have deleted her e-mail address in errorr.
Could you please re-send so that I can reply.

Derrick

Original Posting Date: 29-3-2005 at 03:42 PM
Author: derrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:49 pm 

Since you mentioned France. I assume that your wife to be is french.
My husband is french covert to muslim. This is our approach when we get married.

Husband convert in France. He asked for official conversion of Islam from the imam at the mosque with signature and stamps.

I went to the Pejabat nikah for registration of wedding day. You need to say that you are marrying a foreigner. In my case I have to go to a Pusat Islam in Johor Bahru (my hometown is one of district in Johor).
I went with the copy of husband passport, copy of the conversion to Islam. I said my husband-to-be cannot come with me, because of tied with work. I think I must have been lucky, because no question asked and the officer is very understanding.
I get the approval letter on the same day.

With this approval letter, I bring to the local district Pejabat Nikah, and register like any normal Malaysian marriage should be.

Like other post said.. bring all the copy of documents such as divorce paper, passport.
The more document you gave the officer, less question asked. Normally they are too overwhelmed by those documents which they have to read hihihi

Bonne chance!

Original Posting Date: 22-4-2005 at 06:58 AM
Author: nyanya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:20 pm 

Hi.

I'm Muslim Malaysian citizen, I would like to ask what is the procedure and how long does it take for the process, in my case, my future husband he is Italian currently staying in Italy. What is the procedure for him to convert to Islam in KL, and also the procedure to register our marriage in KL as well. I need to study the process and need to know the time frame for all these as we are planning to stay in Malaysia.

Please somebody help me, i've been calling the immigration and they are not helping much.

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 pm 

Nu, I think contacting the religious authorities or Syariah Court people would be more appropriate, good luck! Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:26 pm 

KL2020 wrote:
Nu, I think contacting the religious authorities or Syariah Court people would be more appropriate, good luck! Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I appreciate your suggestion, I did contact the religious authority ie PERKIM n JAWI, they were asking me to go to the Italian embassy and making endorsement then proceed to immigration. The immigration officer was not helping at all. The officer giving me feedback saying "You make sure your future husband convert to Muslim first and then come back here again." I asked him how much the fee for the application things in the immigration, and he's been replying to me the same thing.

If anybody would like to share any experiences, it would be much help for me, as "some" of the local people having a bad mentality when a local woman especially malay to be marry with expats, poor judgements :(

Again thank you Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:22 pm 

hmmm well, 'some' (insecure males) cant accept the fact that they are not good enough for you Malay ladies hahahah :lol:

Anyway, ive noticed in recent years quite a few Malay ladies marrying foreigners, even Malay celebrities....Maya Karin, Ning Baizura, Serina Redzuan(Chef Wan's daughter), etc. I wonder if they had a hard time too.

Hope u sort it out sooner or later. Good luck! Rgds, Sheila

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:19 pm 

As salamu alaikum Nu...

Being a Muslim expat married to a WONDERFUL Malay woman, I thought I would respond to your search for information on marrying a foreigner.

I am assuming that you have actually met this gentleman and done your DUE DILIGENCE to confirm that he is who and what he claims to be. If not, then I would urge you to take a step back and do that because far too many Malay(sian) women have been scammed by:

a) Nigerians pretending to be handsome, professional white guys and asking women to send them money.
b) Married/separated men lying that they are single.
c) Men who will agree to convert in order to marry but who have no real intention of becoming practising Muslims by getting their "potong", and/or giving up their alcohol, pork, and other non-Islamic likes.
d) Men with "baggage" that they haven't been forthcoming about (e.g. debts, mental issues, emotional issues, toxic ex-wives, etc.).

If you have not met this individual yet and have only ever dealt with him via social networking (FB, LinkedIn, dating website, etc.), then the due diligence becomes IMPERATIVE.

Please note that I am not making any presumptions about your relationship with this fellow, or any judgments about who he is and what his intentions are. My intention in responding as I have is to just be a reminder about doing your homework so that you can protect yourself from harm or heartbreak. :)

Wa salaam...

GB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:07 pm 

I married a Malaysian Muslim in February 2012. I converted years before meeting her, but had no documentation.

It's not a simple process, the rules vary depending on the state. KL rules are different then Selangor for example. If you marry in Malaysia, both most likely have to take pre-marriage classes. You will need the conversion recognized by JAIS. Blood test, Wali, letter from the foreigners embassy, letter from immigration for the foreigner, and a few other things.

It all depends on the State though... they do not all follow the simple rules of marriage according to the Qur'an, there are things added on, lots of them.

If you get married overseas, make sure to get prior (written) approval from JAIS. If not, when you return and try to register, they will have to investigate the marriage to determine if it satisfies the rules locally. You will also be fined RM1,000 if you do not get authorization beforehand.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next