Community

Expat Interview: Sarah Bahari

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Name: Sarah Bahari
Home Country: Australia
Marital status: Single
Job/Industry: Interior Design

What brought you to Malaysia?
Work brought me to this wonderful part of the world. Also, my father is from Malaysia so it was an easy decision to make, because I get to be closer to family.

What do you like or dislike about the country?
What I love about Malaysia is that it has the best variety of food – it is so easy to find reasonably priced delicious food! Another thing that I noticed here is the respect people have for the elderly and the less fortunate. Many times while driving to work, I have encountered an old man riding his rickety bicycle with a sidecar full of recyclables or large items, taking up an entire lane. No matter how slow he is, no one horns and everyone patiently waits until they can overtake him. What I dislike is the lack of proper sidewalks for pedestrians. Furthermore, it is not wheelchair friendly here.

What is your favourite holiday destination here? Why?
Sabah, because I love nature and there is no better place to experience nature than in the jungles of Borneo. Sabah has beaches, islands, mountain climbing, jungle trekking, white-water rafting, bird watching, jungle safaris, orangutan conservation centres, and of course it is home to the Rafflesia, the biggest flower in the world!

What advice do you have for newly arrived expats?
Explore and be adventurous! Mingle and mix with the locals, and try to live close to your work else you will waste a lot of time in traffic.

Do you own property here? If so, where?
Yes I do, I recently purchased a unit in Setiawangsa. Usually foreigners love to buy property in Hartamas or Mont Kiara, which have the amenities they are used to in their home countries, but I like to blend in with the locals. Setiawangsa has a lot of great local food stalls and is still very close to the city centre. So, if I ever need to get some Aussie meats I just head to KLCC which is just 10 minutes away!

What do you miss most about your home country?
I miss the beaches and how close they are to the city. Back in Brisbane, I could drive down to the Gold Coast for a day trip to some of the best beaches in the world. I also miss the variety of dairy produce. You can find some products here in certain supermarkets, but it does not compare to what is available in Australia.

Read more:

Promoted

"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "

Comments

Click to comment

Most Popular

To Top